Players who install Windows games from the Epic Games Store need the Epic Games Launcher to play them. However, some players are unable to use the Epic Games launcher due to the AS-3 error. These users are seeing a “Connection Failure Error Code: AS-3” message in the Epic Games software right after launching it.
The AS-3 error is a network (internet) related connection issue for the Epic Games Launcher software. To fix the AS-3 error, you will need to apply a connection troubleshooter. You may be able to fix the Epic Games launcher AS-3 error with these potential solutions.
1. Check if Epic Games is down
First, note that the AS-3 error may be due to a temporary Epic Games server issue that you cannot resolve. To check, open this Epic Games status page. Click it + buttons for the Epic Online Services and Epic Games Store categories to check if they are fully operational. If this page highlights some operational issues, wait for them to be sorted out before launching the Epic Games Launcher.
2. Run the Troubleshooter for Internet Connections
Windows includes an Internet Connection Troubleshooter that can help users troubleshoot connectivity issues. This troubleshooter may be helpful in resolving the AS-3 network connection error. Here’s how you can use the Internet Connection Troubleshooter in Windows 11:
- To open Settings, tap Begin and select that pinned shortcut for that app.
- Select Troubleshoot within the System tab navigation options.
- Click on Other convenience stores to access the Windows 11 troubleshooting list.
- Select Internet Connections’ To run option from there.
- Then choose the Troubleshoot my internet connection possibility of troubleshooting.
The Settings app is a bit different in Windows 10. To access the same troubleshooter in Windows 10, click Update and security in its Settings app. Then you can select Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooting tool of this section of this application.
3. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
Firewalls are one of the most common causes of software connectivity issues. Windows Defender Firewall blocks connections for applications that are not allowed to pass through it. To ensure Windows Defender Firewall does not cause the Epic Games Launcher AS-3 error, temporarily disable WDF as follows:
- Open Windows Defender Firewall (there are several ways to open the WDF in Windows 11).
- Click on the Control Panel applet Enable or disable Windows Defender Firewall navigation link.
- Select private and public Disable Windows Defender Firewall settings in Customize Settings.
- Click on OKAY to apply firewall settings.
- Open the Epic Games launcher after disabling the firewall.
We do not recommend leaving the firewall disabled if this fixes the AS-3 error. Instead, configure the Windows Defender firewall to allow the Epic Games launcher to pass through it. See our guide to allowing apps through Windows Firewall for more details.
4. Change your PC’s DNS settings
Your PC’s domain name system defaults to an ISP’s automatic DNS server. Changing this DNS service to a more reliable alternative, such as GoogleDNS, may fix the AS-3 error for some users. Here’s how to change your DNS to GoogleDNS on Windows 11 and 10:
- First, press the Windows key + X and select Look for.
- Type the keyword network connections in the general search text box.
- Click the View Network Connections search match from Control Panel.
- Next, right-click your Internet connection to select a Properties option for this.
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 the protocol option, then click the icon Properties button.
- Then select the radio button for the Use the following DNS server addresses setting.
- To switch to GoogleDNS, type 188.8.131.52 first Preferred DNS box.
- Walk in 184.108.40.206 for the Alternate DNS box.
- Then click OKAY in the IPv4 properties window.
- Select OKAY still on the Networking tongue.
There are other good DNS servers other than Google that you can try. Cloudflare, OpenNIC and OpenDNS are good alternatives to Google. Our guide to the best DNS servers provides more details on these and other alternatives.
5. Flush DNS cache and reset Winsock
This potential resolution will flush your PC’s DNS cache and reset the Winsock catalog, which can resolve various connection issues. You can apply this resolution by entering a few quick commands in the Windows 11 Command Prompt app like this:
- Open the Files and Apps Finder tool in Windows.
- Walk in CMD inside of Type here for the search field to locate the command prompt.
- Click on Execute as administrator for the corresponding command prompt application search result.
- Reset Winsock by entering this command netsch and pressing Come back:
netsch winsock reset
- Type this command DNS flush and press Walk in:
- Type this Windows restart command, then press Walk in:
shutdown /r /t 0
As some Internet routers also have built-in DNS caches, restarting your router can also help resolve the AS-3 error. Try unplugging the router and its modem for about a minute or two. Then plug the router/modem back in and let it restart for a few minutes.
6. Uninstall VPN software
VPN (Virtual Private Network) clients are among the software packages most likely to conflict with the Epic Games Launcher and cause the AS-3 error. If you are using a VPN, remove the VPN client software from your PC.
You can uninstall most VPN clients through Programs and Features or Apps and Features, as shown in our guide on how to uninstall software in Windows 11. Applying a network reset, as shown in resolution eight, will also remove the VPN software.
7. Disable proxy server
Epic recommends that users do not use its game client software with proxy servers enabled. A proxy server is something that can block network communications with the Epic Games server. Here’s how you can disable proxy servers for Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections in Windows 11’s Settings app.
- View settings and click on this app Network and Internet tongue.
- Select the Proxy network option to view the settings of it.
- press the Use a proxy server options Implement button.
- If the Use a proxy server option is set to Onclick this toggle switch to turn it off.
- Click on to safeguard in the Edit proxy server box.
To access the same option in Windows 10, click on the Settings app internet security Category. You can select a Proxy tab from there. turn it off Use a proxy server option on this tab.
8. Reset your network
This Windows network reset resolution is among the most widely confirmed fixes for the AS-3 error. However, note that you will probably need to reconnect your PC by entering a Wi-Fi password after resetting the network settings. Make sure you have the required details to reconnect beforehand. You can apply a network reset by doing the following:
- Open Windows System Settings.
- Click on Network & Internet in the left navigation sidebar of the settings.
- Select Advanced network settings to display these network options.
- Click on Network Reset to access this option.
- press the Network Reset options reset now button.
- Click on Yes to confirm network reset.
The same option is available in the Network & Internet category of the Settings app in Windows 10. Click the Network reset link on the Status tab there. Then you can press a reset now button for network components.
Enjoy Epic Gaming Again
The AS-3 error will probably no longer ruin your epic gaming fun when you’ve applied all of these resolutions. We can’t guarantee that they will always fix the AS-3 error for all Epic Games Launcher users, but they are likely fixes for this issue.
If you need more advice on troubleshooting AS-3 errors or are experiencing other Epic Games launcher errors, click Contact us on Epic’s help page to submit a support request.