Today Microsoft released Microsoft Edge Build 96.0.1054.29 as part of its regular 4 week update cycle.
The update brings web view improvements, new PWA features, and quick links for Office apps, but probably most interesting is a new Super Dooper secure mode that users can enable on questionable sites.
Super Duper secure mode in Edge disables JIT and enables new security mitigation measures. These include enabling the new Controlflow (CET) application technology in the Edge rendering process and, in the future, adding support for Web Assembly, Arbitrary Code. Guard (ACG) and other new security mitigation measures.
Microsoft is hoping that Super Duper Secure Mode will be “something that will change the landscape for modern exploits and dramatically increase the cost of operations for attackers.”
Check out the full changelog below:
- Management of the list of cloud sites for IE mode in public preview. Cloud Site List Management allows you to manage your site lists for IE mode in the cloud without the need for on-premises infrastructure to host your organization’s site list. You can access the cloud site list management functionality using the Microsoft Edge Site Lists experience in the Microsoft 365 admin center. For more information, see the Cloud Site List Management article for the IE (Public Preview) mode.
- Improved transfer between IE mode and modern browser. Starting with this version of Microsoft Edge, browsing between Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer mode will include additional form data and HTTP headers. Referrer headers, post data, form data, and request methods will transfer correctly between the two experiments. You can specify the types of data to include using the InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes policy. For more information, see this FAQ: My app requires POST data transfer between IE mode and Microsoft Edge. Is it taken care of?
- Update Microsoft Edge WebWiew2 using WSUS. IT administrators using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to update Microsoft Edge will also be able to update Microsoft Edge WebView2 using WSUS. This capability provides administrators with a simpler maintenance process for offline devices.
- WSUS updates for the server. WSUS and Catalog updates for Microsoft Edge channels (stable, beta, and development) will now apply to Windows Server SKUs that have Microsoft Edge installed, including Windows Server 2022. For more information on Configuring WSUS updates for Microsoft Edge, see Update Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft Edge AutoLaunch protocols component. Microsoft Edge 96 introduces the AutoLaunch Protocols component which contains lists of schema origin dictionaries to be allowed or blocked automatically. This protects clients from unsafe patterns (for example, a protocol handler with a day 0) while eliminating prompts from known pairings (for example, the Teams website can open the Teams client app). If for some reason you don’t want Microsoft Edge to block vulnerable protocol handlers and allow known and safe pairings, use the toggle in edge: // settings / content / applicationLinks, or set the AutoLaunchProtocolsComponentEnabled policy to False.
- Launch the Progressive Web Application (PWA) directly through protocol links. Let installed PWAs manage links that use a specific protocol for a more integrated experience.
- Quickly view Office files in the browser. Users can now view Office files including documents, spreadsheets, and presentations they encounter while browsing Microsoft Edge right in the browser without needing to download the file and then open it in another application. There will be no change to the file opening experience for Office files hosted on OneDrive or SharePoint.
- Free-form highlighting on PDFs. The PDF viewing and markup experience is enhanced with the addition of free-form highlighters. You can highlight sections of PDF that you do not have access to and scanned documents.
- New warning dialog for typosquatting sites. The browser will display a warning on some sites with URLs that look a lot like other sites. This user interface uses client-side heuristics to alert users to sites that might spoof popular websites. For more information, see What is typosquatting ?.
- Dictionary added to mini toolbar in Immersive Reader. We’re adding dictionary functionality to the mini toolbar to help you read and research. You’ll be able to search for spelling and word definitions faster and easier in the Immersive Reader experience.
- Learn to solve math problems with Math Solver. We’re excited to announce that you can use Math Solver in Microsoft Edge to get help with a wide variety of math concepts. These concepts range from elementary arithmetic and quadratic equations to trigonometry and calculus. Math Solver lets you take a photo of a handwritten or printed math problem, then provides an instant solution with step-by-step instructions to help you learn how to reach the solution on your own. Math Solver also comes with a math keyboard that you can use to easily enter math problems. This keyboard eliminates the need to search on a traditional keyboard to find the math characters you need. After you solve your problem, Math Solver provides options to continue learning with quizzes, worksheets, and video tutorials.
Update of conditions
The latest version of Edge browser can be installed simply by restarting your browser.